A trip of a lifetime

featured-i-2 pickofmth
(Featured post and Pick of the month for August 2010. Click here to read it at Kadzilla’s Lounge)

ttp

This is my first attempt at fiction. Any resemblance of the characters to any person, living or dead, is just a coincidence.

lovely_illustration_of_parents_daughter_watching_snail_on_leaf_wallcoo-com

My husband, Ramesh and I were waiting at the New Delhi International Airport to board a plane to US. Ramesh has deteriorated so much and he looks so weak. Our neighbor’s daughter Gita who had been there, gave us some information about the flight. She said it will take almost 22hrs for us to reach there. I would have never wanted to fly to the unknown land, but my son, Sonu is there. Sonu went to US when his company sent him on a job there.

“Ramesh, Do you want some coffee? Wait, I will get it for you”.
“That’s fine. Dont take trouble. ย I know how your joints in the leg pain whenever you walk”
“No wait. I will get it”

He was right. My legs are losing their strength. I am getting old.
“Bhayya, can you give us two cups of coffee?”
The prices I tell you, these days everything is so costly that we can hardly survive with Ramesh’s pension. So recently, he joined as an accounts officer for a truck company near our house. But I keep getting worried about him since the job is so demanding. At the age of 70, how can you expect some one to work like a 25 year old?
“Have this coffee, Ramesh. You will feel better”

We boarded the flight. It is such a long journey. Ramesh dozed off as soon as the plane took off. He must have been so tired. He was working for this whole week. Whenever I am alone, these thoughts keep crossing my mind. Our son left to US six years back, saying he was on a project for 2 years. I did not approve of it, initially. I asked him why he could not continue with his job in India. He is our only son. But he told me that it was the question of his career. Now how could I say NO? Initially, he would call us every weekend. Then it became alternate weekends and now he talks to us, once in a month. Once when I called him, he scolded me “Just because you have nothing to do, don’t keep calling me like this. I am busy at work. I will call you when I get time”

We have just flown for 7 hours now.
“Ramesh, the lunch is here. Eat something. I am sure you must be hungry. Oh! looks like you have fever. Why is your forehead so hot?”
“Let me sleep for sometime. I don’t feel like having it. You have it”
“Here, take this paracetamol. You will feel better”

Our only dream was to search for a nice bride for my son. I had bought jewelry for my daughter-in-law, when Sonu was just in school. Since he is our only son, I had lot of dreams about his marriage. Not all dreams get fulfilled. Sonu has married some girl, from a different caste. He told me after 6 months of his marriage with this girl. When I asked Sonu, he said “If you trust me, you will trust my choice ma.”. We had no other choice, other than to accept her. We cannot severe our relationship with our only son. Can we?

Here comes the air hostess.
“Can I get some water beti?”.
“Here it is. Can I be of some more help to you?”
“When are we landing at the JFK airport?”
“It will be another 10 hours ma’am”
“Oh. We are very old beti. This is too long a journey for us”
“Are you visiting someone, ma’am”
“Yes. Our only son. He went to US, some six years back. He did not come back even once to see his old parents. He does not want to make a single trip to India. He says – India is polluted and populated. But tell me beti, he spent his 25 years in India without any complaint. This was the country which gave him food, shelter and education for 25 years. Now he does not like this country? But we cannot stay without seeing our son. I miss him so much. When I told him this, he asked us to come to US. Ramesh missed him more than I did. He talked me into going to US, to meet Sonu. We had to spend almost all our savings to make a trip to US”
“Oh. Please tell me if you need any kind of help, while on the flight Ma’am. Please don’t hesitate to ask me”.

My neighbor’s daughter, Gita got so much for her parents, when she returned from US. She kept asking me what our son sent from there? He sent nothing. When I told him that Gita brought so many things for everyone in her family, he said “Ma, there is nothing available here which is not available there. Everything is so costly here. Do you have any idea?”

Finally the plane landed.
“Ramesh, we are in US. I cannot wait to see our son, Sonu. Where did he say he will be waiting for us?”
“No. He will not be waiting. Your son is a busy man, Lakshmi. You cannot expect him to stand here for hours. He has given his number. He will be here, as soon as we call him”
“Let’s call then. But this coin phone looks so weird. How do we operate this?”
“Excuse me sir, can you help us call our son. This is the number”

Some gentleman helped us call Sonu.
Ramesh said “Sonu beta, this is your papa here. We are at the NY airport. We landed here at JFK airport”
“Oh is it beta”
“But…….”
“Okay.”

Ramesh turned towards me. “Lakshmi, your son is busy again. He asked us to take a train from here. He does not have the time to even pick us from the airport”
I was shocked “But we are new to this country. We don’t know anything. How are we supposed to go to his place?”
Ramesh said “I know where we should be going to. India”.

Inspired from some real life incidents I have seen actually happen. Your parents sacrifice everything in life to make sure you get good education. But funnily, people find it hard to extract time from their busy schedule for their own parents.

Avada, not at all bad for the first attempt… nice flow, good narration and interesting plot..

1. thanks Neha ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ˜€

2. Mith says:

Awesome work Ash…one of my worst nightmare come to life, this.

1. ๐Ÿ˜ฆ yeah same here. Thanks Mith ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes. Busy. But busy for what ???

Do we have to run after things so much that we even forget about life ?

Life, which only becomes meaningful in loving and caring for those who love and care about us…

No wonder such ‘busy’ people who don’t have time off their ‘busy’ schedules for even their parents, get on the receiving end when they have kids of their own.

As they say, life does come round a full circle eventually…

A very nice attempt at your very first fiction. ๐Ÿ™‚

*** I would like to mention here something which my best friend said to me a few days back.

While shopping for a dress to take home for his little daughter, he said he really cried while spending those sleepless nights caring for her when she was born. He said, he cried not because she troubled him, but because for the first time in his life, he realised what his parents had gone through for him when he was born… ***

1. Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚
      Yeah exactly.. Money has become soooo important to people these days, that they neglect all the other relationships in the world. And that scolding mom for calling part, I got inspired from my friend, who scolded her mom for calling. And you wont believe, this girl was not ready to visit her parents, even though her mom used to beg on phone. And she was not busy studying or anything, she would keep partying all the time and say she was busy. I was like she is your mother, for godsake! Such people will definitely receive similar treatment from their kids too.

4. Chatterbox says:

A very touching story. It’s an excellent piece for a first attempt at fiction.

I am shocked at the way kids at times behave with their parents. I liked the way you ended it. a son who has no care or concern for his old parents, should rather be left on his own.

Keep up the wonderful work Avada.

Cheers!!

1. Thanks so much ๐Ÿ™‚
      Yeah have seen lot of people treating their parents badly ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

5. Smita says:

Sad but as u have yourself said these things do happen. We want to believe that these are mere stories but they never are!!!

Nice written!

1. That’s true Smita. How can people forget their own parents! I still dont understand this ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

I really really liked your story! Well-written.

Have nothing to add. Feel really bad for the neglected parents. Wonder why ppl change ..and for the worse!

1. Thanks girl ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€
      Yeah. It is really sad. Wanted to write about this from a veryy long time ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

Sigh! Hw I wish this ws only a story and such things never happened ๐Ÿ˜ฆ
    Well written Ash ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Yeah girl ๐Ÿ˜ฆ Thanks so much ๐Ÿ˜€

8. Shankar says:

A very good fiction avada… write more… its really good…
    this happens everywhere.. I pity for those parents..

1. Thanks so much Shankar ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Guria says:

Liked it, like it, liked it!!
    First attempt? Doesn’t seem that way, seems written by a seasoned fiction-ist…
    Reminded me of my “Proud Parents” fiction, that too was inspired by real life incidents…
    And u know, Ash, i love the heart u put in ur words, makes it impossible to not like anything, however simple it may be. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Hats off, dearie!

1. Thanks sooo much girlie ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ Yep proud parents kinda inspired me. think of this as a sequel to it ๐Ÿ™‚

i find it unfair to label it as moneyminded. Not caring for parents..yeah..i can agree to that a bit. But these mite happen anywhere..not just in foreign land..suppose the kids doesnt turn up in Central station or egmore does that make it less of a crime? agreed that in unknown land it wud be more nervous and scary and people shd be more considerate to parents. But somehow with this particular story i cudnt agree on the ending.

1. Maybe there is a flaw in the way I have written.. but cant their son take a day off or permission and pick his parents or ask someone else to pick them or ask them to wait in the airport.. I just wanted to say this – he is least bothered about them, and doesnt want them and once his father realizes that he thinks it’s better to go back instead of taking favours from such an ungrateful son. ๐Ÿ™‚

Inspiration: a friend of mine who treated her parents so badly that her mom regretted visiting her ๐Ÿ™‚

๐Ÿ™‚ oh..so thts a negative character then ๐Ÿ™‚ from wat i read..i never got the idea that he purposedly did it..anyways..no 2 thots on wat you’ve tried to convey..keep charming AK ๐Ÿ™‚

2. hehehe.. now that gives a doubt about my writing ๐Ÿ˜ฆ probably I havent written it properly.. Thanks gils ๐Ÿ™‚ will improve next time ๐Ÿ˜‰

or maybe i dint understand properly ๐Ÿ™‚ hermione is never wrong ๐Ÿ™‚

:(( my comment is gone ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

its there nw..the previous one ๐Ÿ™‚

2. oh good.. I thought I lost one of your comments ๐Ÿ™‚

12. dmanji says:

I agree with Guria this one doesn’t seem to be your first attempt… and regarding the plight of the numerous parents what to say … I too have seen such people who don’t really care for their parents but people do get paid back in their own coins ….

1. Thanks Dhiman ๐Ÿ™‚ yeah I have seen these things first hand when people treat their parents in a bad manner. Agree with you! they will get it back for sure

13. Doli says:

ohhh such a sad story.. i felt so bad ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

1. ๐Ÿ˜ฆ sorry Doli for the sad story

14. *sigh

not entirely fiction is it?

1. not entirely.. some scenes extracted from real life incidents, I happened to witness, like scolding mom for calling etc
      And also a friend of mine who treated her parents so badly that her mom regretted visiting her

15. Daisyblue says:

This is the best that I have read in your blog so far ๐Ÿ™‚ I dont why I kind of liked it…
    And the small picture is just very cute !!

1. Thanks soooo much girl ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

16. Just because you have nothing to do, donโ€™t keep calling me like this. I am busy at work. I will call you when I get timeโ€……

I guess this is one of the most happening situations specially for parents with kids working in corporate .
    I liked this post very much both for its contemporary relevance and a practical ending. The narration is touching and did bring the emotional connectivity very well.

Keep writing more on social issues.
    Waiting for your next post ๐Ÿ™‚
    All the best ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Thanks so much Mahesh ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanking for taking time and reading this post ๐Ÿ™‚

17. SiD says:

The plot is nice and the narration is excellent,…not bad for a first attempt.

1. thanks sid ๐Ÿ™‚ happy to hear this from someone who is good at it ๐Ÿ˜€

1. SiD says:

I am good at it…really…na na…m just lallu ok…:O

2. hey sid..I have loved all your short stories so far.. you are one of the good people in short story writing

18. RSV says:

I hate such sons..
    I puke on them..
    they disgust the society..

1. yeah me too ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

19. SiD says:

hey there,
    I have tagged you to save the world. You are a part of the green team now, Click here to know more.

Btw. A little gesture can save the planet. Lets do it.

1. Yes Sid.. going to take it up ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for tagging!

20. Ekta Khetan says:

Very True and am glad that the folks have taken a right decision!

1. Thanks Ekta ๐Ÿ™‚ Yeah these things happen ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

Nicely written AK… ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

but its really sad to hear that these are all from real life incidents ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

1. Thanks a lot Kanagu ๐Ÿ™‚ yeah that is the sad part ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

22. Shruti says:

Don’t tell you you write first time!! Too good, excellent plot!! Loved it Loved it!!

See na, how people forget their parents in old age! It really hurts to see such kinda people!
    Good topic girl!

1. Thanks so much girlie ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ I am sooo happy ๐Ÿ˜€

23. vishnu says:

no wonder it got selected for blog adda.. even though it was the age old problem.. i liked this one..

1. Thanks Vishnu ๐Ÿ™‚ I am so glad that you liked it ๐Ÿ™‚

24. priyan says:

thought provoking story and great plot !

1. Thanks Priyan. Thanks for visiting my blog ๐Ÿ™‚

25. Naveen says:

definitely makes one think …. but it looks more like an extreme case !!

1. Yeah actually I have exaggerated a bit ๐Ÿ˜€ just to add some extra effect.. hopefully in real life it is not that bad

26. There are people who very well know these things are happening around them but still don’t bother – worse, do such things to their parents. Their strange logic is, ‘I am anyway going to shower wealth on my kids, so they will come behind me all their lives!’ They are generally on some cloud till the exact situation mentioned in the story happens to them!

Even in your story, try to find out how the parents of today treated their own parents some years back…

1. thanks DI ๐Ÿ™‚ Yeah agree with you totally! Children learn things from their parents. If they dont treat their parents well, their children wont treat them well. That’s so true.

27. piyu says:

Loved your story.. Money can truly make us blind! So much to not even realise the efforts and the love of our parents. Very touching.

1. Thanks Piyu.. have often seen people do such things to their parents after getting blinded with money..

28. scorpria says:

Good work, AK! Very good, for a start! ๐Ÿ™‚
    And yes…such children do not deserve parents!!!
    I personally know someone who, within a week of the death of her father, went on a leisure trip (because it had already been planned 3 months ago!) and later told her mom to “better book an old age home right away…” coz staying with her “while you’re healthy is one thing…but once you become old, it’s a totally different scene”. *&^%$%&*()!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. scorpria says:

Was planing to write about it…but well, you’ve already done it ๐Ÿ˜€
    Shall link up to you when I do ๐Ÿ˜‰

1. oh my god.. can’t believe someone actually told that to their mother.. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ such people do exist on this planet right? so unbelievable.. and a trip within a week of father’s death is too much.. It looks like some people just dont keep any sort of emotional attachments.. come on write a post about it Priya.. would love to read your point of view on this topic..

30. Prasad says:

It’s sad indeed! I never encountered this kind of incidents before but I have heard that these kind of incidents happen a lot. If not, there won’t be any home for aged, outnumbering orphanages. I ve visited orphanages but I m quite nervous to visit aged. May be because my case is total opposite.

1. yep such people exist.. have known such people personally.. even I was shocked initially but then realised that money is more important to many people ๐Ÿ™‚

31. Vimmuuu says:

Thanks for sharing the link Avada !

Lovved the story !! and even I had seen such things happening ! this is not just fiction ! but honestly, it wouldve been even more realistic, atleast closer to what I had seen, if they still managed to reach their sons place in a train or a cab. Thats what parents would do; they would still take that extra effort to be with their children.

once again, lovved it ! Keep ’em coming !

1. yeah very true Vimmuu.. any parent would have taken a train and walked for 2 miles to visit their children.. and that is what happens in real life.. no matter how badly their children treat them, they take that extra effort to be with them.. I just wanted to give a happy ending and wanted to atleast encourage parents to kick such children and move on with life.. because shedding tears for such people wont be of any good to them.

32. Ivar says:

Very nice narration AK. For sure I have read this before. Thanks for the share :).

1. Thanks kano.. so glad you liked it ๐Ÿ™‚

33. Renu says:

I am shocked that a son could be like this….somewhere parents have faulted in their upbringing.

Many parents suffer because when they were young they didtheir best for their children, but worst for their parents..and children always imbibe their parents.

But then its sad to see old parents struggling.

1. oh yeah that is kind of true. children usually learn from their parents.. but then sometimes children act like that even without any fault of their parents.. have seen such children too.. In a family of 4 children, even though 3 of them care for their parents, one might turn out to become Sonu.. it’s really sad to see how people easily forget relationships..

Very nicely written ๐Ÿ™‚

And yes I’ve lost track of how many times I’ve seen similar stuff in real life ๐Ÿ˜ฆ It’s sad really…
    Such kids should be beaten up!!! ๐Ÿ˜ก

1. thanks Ash ๐Ÿ™‚ such kids really must be beaten up!!!

35. Nethra says:

I really feel sorry for such parents but we children too compromise so much, don’t we? Especially, daughters. World is unfair…we cannot blame one particular person.

1. hmm yeah as daughters we compromise a lot too!

36. Venky says:

Hey you reposted this ah? Very nice write up. Narration was exactly how an old women would narrate really wonderful

1. Thanks Venky ๐Ÿ™‚ this was an old post.. Kadzilla’s lounge selected it for pick of the month..that’s why reposted it since now I have some new readers who wouldnt have read it..

37. This is one of the topic which is very close to my heart. I always end up arguing with people here about the way parents are treated especially when they are summoned to take care of a daughter or DIL and her new born baby. I have seen many many such incidents and always wanted to write about it. But with the kind of Tapori writing skills I have, am afraid it would end up like a circus of a post ๐Ÿ™„ My heart aches when I see the old parents dragging a laundry basket full of soiled clothes between themselves to the Laundry room. ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

Well written and congrats for all the picks ๐Ÿ˜†

Ps: When i first started reading and came to the part where you said my son Sonu is there in US my jaws almost dropped. I was mortified thinking of what all I wrote under your comments in Vimmu’s place pulling your legs. I thought how could I do that to an elderly lady :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Haa after that i scrolled up and saw the disclaimer ๐Ÿ˜

1. Thanks Sakshi.. welcome to my blog! ๐Ÿ˜€
      Oh yeah I have seen all these things happen ๐Ÿ˜ฆ And that is what inspired me to write this post.. hehe.. I am not so old to have a son in US ๐Ÿ˜‰ thank god I thought of putting a disclaimer..

Yo madam, why are you recycling your old posts? ๐Ÿ˜€ After I read it, I remembered having read it before & then see my comment above also.
    Now come on, post a new story!

1. hehe.. girlie my post got selected at Kadzilla’s lounge and that’s why reposted it so that my new readers can read it ๐Ÿ™‚