This post is full of spoilers so if you have not watched the finale of Game of Thrones, please come back to this post later.
I saw the last episode yesterday and was furious. The plot was getting ridiculous right after the books ended but I still had some hopes. Last night’s episode was a disaster. Probably the worst ending one could ever come up with.
Nothing made sense. These are the questions in my head –
- How can you make a random person king? And why are all the 6 kingdoms okay with a Stark becoming a king, while Winterfell (to which Stark belongs to) wants to be an independent kingdom?
- Both Sansa and Bran have never held even an wooden sword in their hand and they are supposed to rule kingdoms now as King and Queen?!
- What is the point of Jon being Aegon Targaryen? He is the rightful heir to the throne and that wasn’t even revealed to the lords of the other 6 kingdoms? Why?
- How did Dany suddenly turn into a psycho? She was sane for 7 seasons and suddenly became a crazy person? No, watching her selfish brother who sold her burn did not make up for it. Nor did killing slavers who were evil people count. When did she kill innocent people? Why would she kill the very same people that she dreamt of ruling one day?
- Why was Jon acting like a mute in this season? He hardly opened his mouth. He could have counseled Dany and brought her to the right path.
- I hated Sansa right from the beginning. She was responsible for Ned Stark’s death because she wanted to be a queen.
- Winterfell will not bend knee to King who is a Stark but will bend knee to a Queen who is a Stark? What was the logic in that? Bran is a Stark too, just like Sansa so that statement made by Sansa was meaningless.
- Why the hell do they even have a night watch? What are they watching now? Trees?
- Where is the broken section of the wall? They still have gates for Castle Black? What for?
- Why didn’t Drogon try to burn Jon when it knew that Jon killed its mother? What if he is Targaryen? He is still a killer.
- Who makes a corrupt guy like Bronn, a Master of Coin? Nobody in their right mind would allow that corrupt person near the council.
- Why did Bran not counsel them or give them advise on anything? If he knew Dany was going to burn King’s Landing, why didn’t he tell? Is he the villain then? He knew he would be King so stayed quiet all along?
- In what way did Bran becoming three eyed raven help in any of the battles? Did he help them defeat White walkers? Did he help them defeat Cersei? What was the point of him being able to see past and future?
- The worst story arc was that of Jaime. His character growth happened for 7 seasons, only to be thrown under a rubble of rocks in the last season. Why would he go back to Cersei when he knew she was an evil person and had left her for the very same reason?
- Even Arya defeating Night King was pretty unrealistic. How did she cross so many white walkers and reach Night King? Was there an invisible trampoline that she jumped?
- What was Bran doing sending ravens when the Night King attacked? He did not say what he saw there. So what was the point of his warging into Ravens?
- Arya was a faceless person who could change into anyone she wanted. And that ability suddenly vanished now when we were really in need of it. She could have taken the face of a white walker to kill Night King or face of Jaime to kill Cersei or taken anyone’s face. Why didn’t she?
- Arya went to kill Cersei and turned back because Hound asked her to. Hound is another character that I despised. Arya was then drifting aimlessly in King’s Landing and did not die (because she is a main character).
- If you notice, none of the main characters died except for some irrelevant characters.
- The battle with white walkers should have happened after the battle with Cersei. It would have made more sense.
- Why didn’t Greyworm kill Jon as soon as Dany was dead? Why did he wait for 3 weeks to get justice?
- Just inches from where Jaime and Cersei died there was no rubble. Couldn’t they just have run and escaped?
Now that the TV series is over, I hope GRRM ends up finishing the book series. I am waiting for the books desperately to see how he planned the ending. Hoping that it’s not as bad as the ending in the show.
Did you watch the finale? What did you feel?
Some of the best memes I saw online –