I tried to read many new authors this year because of which I ended up DNFing quite a lot of books and also disliked many books. I also noticed that the books that I had preordered since they were written by my favorite authors ended up being horrible. This year I am not planning to preorder any book and will wait for reviews before picking them up.
- My worst book of this year and the most disappointing read has to be “Turtles all the way down by John Green”. I cannot believe I disliked a book by one of my favorite authors. The plot was silly, characters were horrible and the toxic friendship, instalove – everything turned me off. I hated this book.
- Another book that I disliked with passion was “Ghachar Ghochar by Vivek Shanbhag“. This book was misogynistic and portrayed women in a very bad light. There wasn’t much in terms of plot as well.
- Now that I am done with the books that I hated, let me talk about some books that I did not dislike but found to be pretty meh. One such book was Wonder Woman: Warbringer by Leigh Bardugo. I had preordered a signed edition of this book since I was confident that I would like it. But it had every single YA trope and was too predictable. Also Wonder Woman acted like a college teenager. Very boring book.
- I tried reading Ursula K Le Guin’s The Left hand of Darkness and I ended up DNFing it since it was so boring. I then tried Lathe of Heaven by her since the premise sounded interesting and it was not based in her weird universe. But still it was boring and the ending was really horrible. I am not impressed by this author even though people keep praising her. She is definitely not for me.
- Many people consider Dune by Frank Herbert to be the best scifi ever written. The world building was great but other than that, everything else was crap in this novel. The characters were like cardboard cutouts, the portrayal of women was horrible and there was too much of religious mumbo jumbo in it. Those who like philosophical books may like it. It was boring and after knowing that it was based on arab conflicts over petroleum, I lost interest in the series.
- A natural history of dragons by Marie Brennan – A very famous series that everyone seems to be liking. I loved the female protagonist but her adventures weren’t interesting enough. I wish it had more action and dragons which it lacked.
- Cat’s Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut – Another one of those authors that everyone considers to be great. I found this book to be full of nonsense. Nothing made sense and nothing was funny to me. It sounded like the author had no idea what to write so he filled it with nonsense. There was no direction or point to the story.
- Neverending story by Michael Ende – Another one of those classic fantasy novels that everyone praises. It is a kid’s book but it was too silly and immature. Definitely not something that adults can enjoy. I feel a well written children’s book can be enjoyed by adults as well so I don’t think I will recommend this to even kids.
Special Mention – Artemis by Andy Weir. Even though I have technically not read this book in its entirety, I did read the first few chapters and I am deeply disappointed in this novel. The female main protagonist acts like a teenage boy and I did not like her one bit. I wish this book had a male protagonist. I did not feel compelled enough to continue. I will give it another try sometime in future maybe.