Travel souvenirs

What do you guys usually get as a souvenir when you travel? We often buy something that can remind us about the trip and the places we visited as part of the trip. Some people collect fridge magnets. I used to collect them too but with a stainless steel fridge, I don’t have any place to put them. These days, instead of getting magnets which are of not much use, I get books. I usually end up buying books about the place I am visiting – mostly about the National Park or city I am visiting along with some about the history of the place, geology, wild life and vegetation etc. I love browsing through these books after my trip in order to refresh my memory. These books also provide me with more information about the places I visited as part of my trip along with some stunning photographs. I love collecting travel books. I got plenty when I visited Alaska and Hawaii too. I cannot find all the books that I bought in my various trips online or in a bookstore, so I try to buy them when I visit a place.

How about you?

1. SG says:

I also buy books of the place I am about to visit to get to know about the interesting places.

1. Same here SG. I read little bit about the place I am visiting before I visit it too.

2. Recently, at Mahabalipuram, we bought a sea shell with our names engrossed on it. I seem to like custom designed gifts nowadays!

1. Oh that’s a nice souvenir to collect. Customized would be even more great I think.

3. imyril says:

We don’t do souvenirs. I’ll occasionally buy a book if I’m interested in a particular aspect of local history or geology, but mostly we just take photos and memories πŸ™‚

1. Photos are the best souvenirs for sure πŸ™‚

4. I usually end up coming home with a book or two, but about six years ago I started collecting hat/lapel pins. Most souvenir shops have them, and some are quite unique!

1. I have never tried getting pins. That’s a great idea.

Liked by 1 person

5. jessicacrafts says:

That’s a lovely idea. I collect a deck of playing cards from the place we go. I love the different designs and sometimes they have pictures and info of all the different places to visit on them too.

1. I got playing cards couple of times from few places. They are great to collect, I agree.

Liked by 1 person

6. I usually buy coffee mugs or t-shirts. Books are a great idea too.

1. I usually get tshirts too along with the books. These days I am trying to reduce that.

Liked by 1 person

7. Jo says:

I am a hoarder of fridge magnets πŸ˜€

1. I have a huge collection too but these days not getting them as I don’t have place to put them. 😦

Liked by 1 person

8. Shot glasses even though I can’t do shots anymore. Postcards are a nice, cheap souvenir, too! Or key chains. We have this pottery from Cancun when we went there a few years ago for my brother’s wedding. Very beautiful.

1. shot glasses are a great idea I think. Better than coffee mugs as they are easier to carry back. Oh yeah, postcards are great too. Thanks for these ideas.

Liked by 1 person

1. My brother collects shot glasses even though he doesn’t drink hard whiskey either! They’re nice little mementos πŸ™‚

9. We started getting small toys for kiddos. That way we see them using and talking about the trip every time. πŸ™‚ Of course, still fridge magnets for me. πŸ™‚

1. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ That’s a great idea Dil. Kids will also remember the trip because of these toys.

10. Annie says:

(I saw your Avada Kedavra link on Harini’s blog and just had to follow hah! Hello fellow potter nerd!) This is such a neat idea, I think I am going to steal this idea for future vacations! πŸ™‚

Our souvenirs are usually the photographs we take on trips, we get blown up prints for our walls (we’ve both been photographers in the past). Sometimes I get random things that reminds of a specific moment from the trip – an old fleur de lis pottery tile from New Orleans and used postcards from the last century from Paris, both from flea markets; pebbles from a beach in the middle of nowhere and wildflowers from a field to keep in my journal, in Iceland. I have tons of sea shells from all the beaches I have ever visited (my mom gets mad at me for collecting junk haha). πŸ™‚

1. Thank you so much for visiting this blog Annie. I take a lot of photos too on trips. But need to get them printed. They are in raw format and I am too lazy to process them and give them for print 😦 You have given me some really nice ideas which I am going to use when I am on a trip next time. Wildflowers is an amazing idea considering I use a journal too.

11. My husband is a souvenir freak and he”ll buy stuff – t-shirts, mugs, fridge magnets, books etc. from wherever he goes. I can’t be bothered mostly. I dislike shopping generally, and I feel souvenirs are getting more and more overpriced these days, so ya, I tend to just take a lot of photos and those are my souvenirs πŸ™‚

1. I am actually a souvenir freak too 😦 Need to stop getting obsessed with souvenirs as now I have no place to keep them (have collected so many). Also agree that they are overpriced.

12. Harini says:

I and my husband are souvenir crazy. We always buy fridge magnets and also some figurine to remind us of the place. For example, we ended up buying a Patronas Towers figurine from Kuala Lampur from our most recent visit. One of my friends recently said that our home is turning into a travel museum :P. I don’t mind that really. We also like Annie, print out the best shots from our travels and put them on the wall. But books are cool idea too. I will try to buy books from now :).

1. Haha our house is also turning into a travel museum actually. I don’t know how to resist myself from buying souvenirs – I always feel this may be the only time I will visit this place and may not get the opportunity to visit again. That is what makes me pick up so many items 😦