I love Sci-fi, especially the movies. Most of the movies that I have enjoyed watching are sci-fi movies. It helps that my family also loves Sci-fi a lot. Whether I am watching a movie with my mom or my husband, we end up watching only sci-fi most of the times.
Here are my favorite sci-fi movies which I can watch again and again, any number of times. I have excluded some movies which were adapted from the book and where the book was better than the movie (like The Martian). This is going to be a very long list of movies.
I will start by naming two directors who have given us some amazing sci-fi movies. Any movie directed by them is amazing and a must-watch for me. I love every single movie directed by these two people but will be only mentioning those movies which are purely sci-fi.
Steven Spielberg –
His movies were my first introduction to sci-fi. The first sci-fi movies that I watched were probably E.T and Jurassic Park.
- E.T which was an amazing alien movie and my most favorite alien movie.
- Jurassic Park was another movie that shaped my childhood. I watched that movie sitting in the front row of the theater as a kid and had nightmares for next few days.
- War of the worlds which I watched in theater with few of my classmates,
- Minority Report – this is a futuristic movie where they can predict crime before it even happens and
- A.I (Artificial Intelligence) – it is about a boy who is a robot were all equally fantastic movies.
Christopher Nolan –
If I loved Spielberg’s movies as a kid, I loved Nolan’s movies as an adult. As of today, he is my most favorite director. Every single movie of his has been my favorite. I have not disliked a single movie of his so far.
- The Prestige – This movie has Nikola Tesla playing with his inventions, need I say more?,
- Inception – a popular movie where you can manipulate dreams and
- Interstellar – my current favorite space movie – they are all my favorite movies ever.
Every single movie of his is a masterpiece.
Other than the movies from these two directors, there are some other sci-fi movies which are my favorites. Here is the list –
- Independence day – This is was my first alien attack movie and the movie which made me a complete fan of sci-fi genre. I have watched this movie innumerable times and I still love it.
- 2001: A space odyssey – This is probably the oldest movie on my list. It was the first movie where people saw space and space shuttles on the big screen. My dad watched this movie when he was young and loved it. It’s an amazing movie and the book is equally great.
- Moon – I have done a full review of this movie earlier. It is not a very well known movie but the concept was mindblowing. I never expected the movie to be that good when I started watching it.
Review of Moon – Moon(2009)
- District 9 – Yet another movie which I had no idea was this amazing. Everything about this movie was amazing. I wish they would come up with a sequel for this. I have a full review of this movie here on my blog.
Review of District 9 – District 9 of non-humans
- Alien and Aliens – This movie creeped me out. I even had nightmares as it was so scary. Definitely the kind of alien movie that I love. The first part (Alien) was amazing as an alien enters their spaceship and they have no idea until they start getting murdered, even the second part (Aliens) was pretty good with multiple aliens. If you like scary aliens, then this is the movie for you.
- The thing – This movie was even more scary. This is about an alien which can enter any human’s body and you have no idea that this human has the alien inside him. So you have no idea who is human and who is alien so you cannot trust anybody. This movie was probably the most scary movie I have ever seen. The climax was just too amazing.
- I am legend – This is a creepy movie about the end of the world. In this movie, only a single human survives while all the others have turned into zombies. I love this movie so much as I feel this is the best dystopian movie I have seen.
- I, Robot – Another Will Smith movie which is my favorite. It is loosely based on Isaac Asimov’s Robot novels/short stories. The plot is no where related to the books, though the idea has been borrowed from the books. I loved this movie even more than the books. This is my favorite Robot movie.
- The Matrix series – These are my favorite cyberpunk movies. These movies are so intelligent, it is difficult for some people to understand what’s going on in these movies. I watched the first part when I was young and could not make out anything. I then watched them again after some years and loved the whole concept.
- The day after tomorrow – My favorite end of the world movie. This movie talks about global warming taking a toll on the world. I have watched this movie so many times that I know every single scene by heart.
- Volcano- This movie is a favorite of my mom too. We both watched it so many times that I lost count. In this movie, suddenly lava starts flowing in New York city and the city turns into a volcano. I thought the whole concept of people trying to escape from lava was amazing.
- Star Wars and Star Trek – Of course, these two movie franchises. How can I not add them to the list? These are everyone’s favorites and I love these two.
There are many more favorite sci-fi movies but I decided to stop as this post is already pretty long. I will make another list in future about some of the other great sci-fi movies that I have seen.
Have you watched these movies? Do you like any of these movies? What are your favorite science fiction movies?