I have read 32 books (9202 pages) so far this year. I have crossed my yearly goal of atleast reading 25-30 books this year.
- Best book you have read so far in 2016 – Vicious by V.E. Schwab. It is one of the best books I have ever read so it is the best I have read this year, if we don’t count rereads. If we do count rereads, then it will be The Lord of the Rings which I reread this year.
- Best sequel you have read so far – I am currently reading the Mortal Instruments and I think all the sequels have been good so far, especially The city of glass (3rd book in the series).
- New release you haven’t read this year, but want to – This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab – I heard there is no romance in this novel and I am sold just because of that. Also she is my new favorite author so I want to read everything written by her soon. I am also interested in Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel which is supposed to be a science fiction.
- Most anticipated release for second half of this year – Harry Potter and the cursed child by J. K . Rowling. A new Harry Potter book and how can I not be excited. I wish she had written a proper book instead of a play though. And it is co-authored by many other people so I am not sure how good it is going to be. I also wish she would stop releasing new material about Harry Potter and instead write a new fantasy series.
- Biggest disappointment – The Magicians by Lev Grossman and Childhood’s end by Arthur C. Clarke – I saw the first episode of The Magicians TV series and loved it. I read this book only to find it extremely boring. It is a rip-off of Harry Potter and Narnia and just to make it different, the author has added plenty of adult scenes. Childhood’s end was also boring. Considering how much I liked the other book by this same author (2001 A space odyssey), I can’t believe this book was that bad.
- Biggest surprise – The invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick. Amazing book with some amazing illustrations. I had no idea it was this good else I would have read it much earlier.
- Favorite new author – I discovered two good authors this year – Victoria Schwab (author of Vicious) and Cassandra Clare (author of the Mortal Instruments series). After hearing so many bad reviews about the Mortal Instruments series, I was not inclined to read it. But since it is such a famous series, I still wanted to give it a try. I downloaded the kindle book and after I read 40% of the first book, I knew I would end up loving this series. So I got the entire box-set and I am really liking this series. I don’t care if people think it is not original or a great piece of literature, it is fun to read. I will definitely read more books by this author.
- Newest fictional crush – Jace and Simon from Mortal Instruments series. For the first time, I read a series where both the heroes were equally good and I could not decide with whom the female protagonist should end up with at the end.
- Newest favorite character – Kelsier from Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson – This man was amazing and he was the sole reason for liking the book I guess. He had the courage to stand up against a ruler who is much feared by everyone. Great guy.
- Book that made you cry – Short story Paper Menagerie by Ken Liu did bring tears in my eyes. I am yet to read the other short stories but the most popular one in this book was great.
- Book that made me happy – None. I read mostly serious or depressing reads so far this year. But City of Bones did make me chuckle few times as it had plenty of funny lines.
- Most beautiful book you have bought this year – The invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick for having the most beautiful cover.
- What books do you need to read before the end of the year – I am planning to finish the rest of the books in the Mortal Instruments series and start with Infernal Devices series.