I was recently discussing about my favorite hindi movies when I realized that I have come to like handful of movies in the recent times. I did not like most of the hindi movies that I watched in the last 10 years or so. Some of them are not bad but good for one time watching. You cannot watch some movies again and still like them. These days we watch a Bollywood movie just to laugh at the story or actors like Krishh-3 which we watched just so that we could have a good laugh, but I appreciate that they are trying to do something which was never done before in India. Most of the movies churned out by Shahrukh in recent years have been like that e.g My name is Khan or Jab tak hai jaan made me laugh so much at the cannot-act-to-save-my-life Katrina’s oath and Shahrukh’s bomb defusing skills. Sorry! if I have hurt the feelings of any fans.
Anyway, so like I said I hardly liked any hindi movies in the recent times. Yes, hardly and not any. I loved few movies and I watch them again and again whenever I get a chance because they are that good. Most of them are offbeat, different kind of movies with a good story and brilliant acting.
Let me present to you my favorite movies –
Reasons to like:
- Acting – according to me, Irrfan Khan is one of the best actors in Bollywood today. You cannot figure out if he is acting or this is happening for real.
- Different story – I am surprised to see that they came up with such a different story.
- But I have a feeling they were little influenced by “Mary and Max” movie, which was great. Do watch it. I liked it more because of that. 🙂
- Realistic movie. The story and screenplay seem so natural. This could happen to you or me.
Reasons to like:
- I have never particularly liked Kangana, but in this movie she proves that she can act. Not just act, act very well.
- Realistic movie. This happens all the time – men promising to marry and then at the last minute trying to escape from it.
- Guy rejecting a girl because she is not modern and belittling her because of her not-so-great education – happens all the time.
- Most girls who are in this situation commit suicide or take other drastic steps, which is clearly wrong. This movie shows why it is wrong. You can have a great life even after a breakup or after a guy leaves you.
- I loved the ending the most in the movie. Most realistic ending I have seen in recent times.
- The movie also shows that being modern does not necessarily mean wearing skimpy or revealing clothes. One can be modern in their thinking and not necessarily in the kind of clothes they wear.
- I love the way an innocent girl goes and conquers the world on her own. I love the way she starts feeling confident about herself. I could relate to this part of the movie a lot.
Reasons to like:
- Realistic movie – I have seen this happen in real life. Humiliating someone just because they are not good at English or because they chose to take care of their children and ended up becoming a housewife.
- I have also seen people who do not give respect to their parents, just because they feel they are not well-educated. My ex-roomie never gave respect to her mother for this same reason.
- I love the way she chooses her family at the end. And the way she proves her family wrong.
- This movie came at a time when most of the actresses couldn’t “act”. So it was like a breath of fresh air. Sridevi acted so well in this movie, that I doubt anyone else could have done it better. She chose the right kind of movie to make a comeback.
- I love her simple dressing style in this movie. She looks so beautiful even in this getup.
- I liked the french guy a lot in this movie. I think I have a crush on him. 😀
Will be back with another post on more movies.