… is what I have learnt from my parents.
- Not hurting other person’s feelings
- Not being rude
- Not being sarcastic
- Not insulting others
- Not passing judgmental comments on others
- Never try to ruin someone’s career or life, just because you have to succeed
- Smiling back at other people, when they smile at you
- Not backstabbing others
- Replying to emails that my friends send promptly
- Replying to friends saying I am busy and will reply in a couple of days, if I am really busy
- Returning phone calls, when people call me. May not be promptly but I will definitely call back.
- Pulling someone’s legs but not to the extent that the other person gets hurt
- Not making friendship with someone, because I might/may need their help
- Stop talking to someone, just because they are of no use to me anymore
- Never hurt a person who cared for me when I was in distress or trouble, just because now I am in a better position
- Return something that I have borrowed from the other person on time
- Never borrow anything from others, unless you cannot buy it. Cannot afford it or do not want to spend money on it is not a reason to borrow.
- Ask for help, only if all the other doors are closed. If there is some door open, first try that before asking for help
- Think about what the other person is going to feel about what you talk, before opening your mouth and not after.
- Even if the other person has hurt you, there is no need to seek revenge or to hurt the other person.
- Saying things as they really are without any pretense. Be frank.
- There is nothing wrong in being truthful
- Not boasting about how wonderful my life is in front of my friends
- Trying to stay in touch with friends, by occasionally calling them or mailing them
- Even if you cannot help somebody, at least do not harm them in any manner
Because of the above points, I have never been the most popular person. I think the reason is that I cannot pretend to be someone that I am not. Extracting information from others or trying to get help from others has never been my forte.
Why are other people not so nice to those who are nice to them?
Why are nice people the target of abuse or criticism for no reason?
Why is it wrong to be nice to others?
Why do people think that nice people are easy targets for abuse and rude comments?
Why are nice people treated like a bunch of fools or idiots?