I really liked today’s top ten tuesday topic at The broke and the bookish. So here I am listing the top ten authors that I have never read. I have been reading a lot of young adult and fantasy novels from past few years. I want to reduce that and get back to reading some serious novels soon.
- Stephen King : He is one of the best fiction writers out there. Unfortunately, he only writes horror. I own his book “The stand” and recently I bought his famous book “On writing” too. I will definitely read one of the two books this year.
- Robin Cook : I own a book of his – “Mutation” from quite sometime and have still not read it. I have heard people rave about his medical thrillers and I am eager to read a book written by him.
- Ken Follett : He is another famous writer I have never read. I again own couple of his books like “The Pillars of the Earth” and “Eye of the needle” and plan to read one of them soon.
- John Steinbeck : I want to read his book “The cannery row“, since it talks about a place that I like and have visited. I have also heard a lot about “The Grapes of wrath” (which has won the Pulitzer prize) and “The mice and men“. The author has won Nobel prize in literature. Enough reasons to read him, right?
- Jack London : I recently got hold of “The call of the wild” and I want to finish it soon. I heard about Jack London for the first time when I was reading “Into the wild”. I made a mental note to read his books when I read some references/quotes from his books.
- Jhumpa Lahiri : I have heard a lot about her books, especially “The Namesake“. Even though it is not a genre that I read, I want to read at least one of her books. Most of her books are based on immigrants, so it might have something that I could relate to.
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky and Leo Tolstoy : I am not sure I will like their books, but I still want to give them a try someday. I have not read any Russian authors in the past.
- Arthur Hailey – his novel “Airport” and
- Alistair MacLean – his novel “Where Eagles Dare“. #8 and #9 do not belong to my usual genres but I have heard my dad praise these two authors a lot. I still have not given them a try, even after so many years. I guess it is not too late to read these two authors.
- Somerset Maugham : I watched the movie “The Painted Veil” which was based on his book with the same name and I loved it. I want to read one of his books soon. Probably I will start with “Of Human Bondage” which is a novel that my father really likes.
So many authors to read, so little time. Not fair.
What popular authors have you never read?
P.S: I broke my rule for the first time. I have still not replied to comments on my earlier post. I could not resist myself from putting this post. Will reply to the comments asap.