After waiting for so many months, I finally watched the HBP, sixth installment of the potter series.. In the beginning, they have tried to cover every scene possible and all the romantic scenes but later on, the movie gets really bad.. I mean, I know you cannot cover everything in the book in just two and a half hours but come on, do some justice to the story.. You cannot take someone’s story and cook up something on your own or rather kill the story..
These were the shortcomings in the movie and I hated the movie because of these reasons:
- Too much of emphasis on Ginny.. In the book, you hardly read about Ginny but in the movie she was overloaded.. When Ginny hadnt broken up with Dean, she was ready to kiss Harry in Burrow
- The burrow chase scene was utterly “DUMB”.. because burrow has been put under all sorts of magical spells to protect Harry.. When death eaters can so easily come and cast spells all around it and even put it on fire.. Dont you think it would have been easier for Voldemort to come and kill Harry at the Burrow itself? Was there any need for 7th part then?
- The most important scenes should have been from the memories: the one at the Gaunt house.. I was dying to see Voldy’s parents.. and then the scene where Voldy acquires the locket and Hufflepuff’s cup from that old lady.. Without these two scenes, it is impossible for Harry to guess what the other Horcruxes are..
- When Malfoy corners Dumbledore, why does Harry hide? He is put under a spell by Dumbledore which is not shown.. I mean, Harry is not dumb to silently hide and watch Dumbledore die.. he would have done something if he was not under any spell..
The book says: “Dumbledore had wordlessly immobilised Harry, and the second he had taken to perform the spell had cost him the chance of defending himself.”
- There is no battle at Hogwarts.. no mention of Rosmerta who is responsible for poisoning and handing over the necklace to Katie.. It looked like the death eaters had a dream that Dumbledore is not in school and they came, killed him and left the castle as if they were on a visit to a museum.. They did not touch any human being..
- Harry playing Quidditch -not shown; I was waiting to see Harry in action for a last time
- Dumbledore’s funeral? Not there.. not even a glimpse of his tomb.. I really thought that maybe when I see Dumbledore die in the movie, I will cry but I did not feel anything.. The tomb and everyone, especially hagrid crying would have definitely brought tears in my eyes..
- It looked like Harry had preference to things like romance than finding more about Voldy.. In short, the whole movie was about romance, who cares what Voldy is upto right..
By Dumbledore (the last few quotes from the great man – taken from the book):
- “For future reference, Harry, it is raspberry… although of course, if I were a Death Eater, I would have been sure to research my own jam preferences before impersonating myself.”
- “Did I know that I had just met the most dangerous Dark wizard of all time?” said Dumbledore. “No, I had no idea that he was to grow up to be what he is.
- While the Elixir of Life does indeed extend life, it must lie drunk regularly, for all eternity, if the drinker is to maintain the immortality. Therefore, Voldemort would be entirely dependant on the Elixir, and if it ran out, or was contaminated, or if the Stone was stolen, he would die just like any other man. Voldemort likes to operate alone, remember. I believe that he would have found the thought of being dependent, even on the Elixir, intolerable.
- Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back! Voldemort is no different!
- “I do not think he understands why, Harry, but then, he was in such a hurry to mutilate his own soul, he never paused to understand the incomparable power of a soul that is untarnished and whole.”
- “Think your little jokes’ll help you on your death bed, then?” she jeered.
“Jokes? No, no, these are manners,” replied Dumbledore.
Others from the book:
- Harry: “But if it is,” he said fiercely, now looking straight into Dumbledore’s blue eyes gleaming in the wandlight, “I’ll make sure I take as many Death Eaters with me as I can, and Voldemort too if I can manage it.”
- Hermione: “Dumbledore says people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right,” said Hermione. “I heard him telling your mum, Ron.”
- Weasleys: WHY ARE YOU WORRYING ABOUT YOU-KNOW-WHO?
YOU SHOULD BE WORRYING ABOUT U-NO-POO–
THE CONSTIPATION SENSATION THAT’S GRIPPING THE NATION!
- Snape: “I suppose you wanted to make an entrance, did you?” Snape continued. “And with no flying car available you decided that bursting into the Great Hall halfway through the feast ought to create a dramatic effect.”
- “And they’d love to have me,” said Harry sarcastically. “We’d be best pals if they didn’t keep trying to do me in.”
- “‘Slug Club,'”repeated Ron with a sneer worthy of Malfoy. “It’s pathetic. Well, I hope you enjoy your party. Why don’t you try hooking up with McLaggen, then Slughorn can make you King and Queen Slug —”
- She raised her quill and dotted an ‘i’ so ferociously that she punctured a hole in her parchment. Harry said nothing. He thought his voice might soon vanish from the lack of use.
- “That’s right,” said Hermione sweetly. “The one who *almost*” – she put a great deal of emphasis on the word – “became Gryffindor Keeper.”…. “I like *really good* Quidditch players,” Hermione corrected her, still smiling.
- Harry: You don’t care whether I live or die, but you do care that I help you convince everyone you’re winning the war against Voldemort….. “I don’t remember you rushing to my defense when I was trying to tell everyone Voldemort was back. The Ministry wasn’t so keen to be pals last year.” …… “But you seem cleverer than Fudge, so I’d have thought you’d have learned from his mistakes. He tried interfering at Hogwarts. You might have noticed he’s not Minister anymore, but Dumbledore’s still headmaster. I’d leave Dumbledore alone, if I were you.”
- Professor Flitwick had dried himself off with a wave of his wand and set Seamus lines: “I am a wizard, not a baboon brandishing a stick.”
- “A little less talk, a little more action . . . Let me see you try. . . .” Together they raised their wands, concentrating with all their might, and pointed them at their flasks. Harry’s vinegar turned to ice; Rons flask exploded.
- “Then why,” asked Snape, “does it have the name ‘Roonil Wazlib’ written inside the front cover?”
Harrys heart missed a beat. “That’s my nickname,” he said.
“Your nickname,” repeated Snape.
“Yeah . . . that’s what my friends call me,” said Harry.
“I understand what a nickname is,” said Snape.
- “You dare use my own spells against me, Potter? It was I who invented them – I, the Half-Blood Prince! And you’d turn my inventions on me, like your filthy father, would you? I don’t think so . . . no”
- To the Dark Lord
I know I will be dead long before you read this but I want you to know that it was I who discovered your secret. I have stolen the real Horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can. I face death in the hope that when you meet your match you will be mortal once more.
- He (Harry) felt in his pocket for the cold chain of the fake Horcrux, which he now carried with him everywhere, not as a talisman, but as a reminder of what it had cost and what remained still to do.
“And Harry saw very clearly as he sat there under the hot sun how people who cared about him had stood in front of him one by one, his mother, his father, his godfather, and finally Dumbledore, all determined to protect him;
but now that was over. He could not let anybody else stand between him and Voldemort; he must abandon for ever the illusion he ought to have lost at the age of one: that the shelter of a parent’s arms meant that nothing could hurt him. There was no waking from his nightmare, no comforting whisper in the dark that he was safe really, that it was all in his imagination; the last and greatest of his protectors had died and he was more alone than he had ever been before.”
this seems bad … 😦 if what you say is true then the moive is a terrible dud … Harry hid while Snape killed Dumbledore? thats SO dumb … and no whit tomb?
and ya the quotes/events u’ve mentioned are quite essential … nyways good review indeed!
yeah 😦 this was my fav HP series book
well … fav? it was good no doubt but in the end … it was a complete triumph of evil over good … and the one important thing in the story was that the life of Voldemort was revealed … the only GOOD thing that happened to HP and his friends were the OWL results 😀
hmm that’s true.. but we learn a lot of secrets in this book.. almost all the secrets abt voldy, abt harry’s parents, abt snape.. and especially the cave scene is ultimate.. yeah cave scene is good in the movie though.. only good thing in the movie..
i havent seen it yet. and you have given enough reasons not to 🙂
Being a potter freak, I found it very disappointing 😦
Well said …. There was no need to emphasize Love potion so much when you have so much to tell about horcruxes and half blood prince ….. The movie could have been so so better if Dark side was included a bit more ….
David Yates has destroyed what could have been a classic …. I missed the duels , quidditch and the Dumbledore’s funeral …. and the justification that Gaunt’s scene was not necessary is baseless …
That memory was a must for Harry to know about the history and discover the horcruxes … or is he oing to find them on his intuition in the final apart just as Dumbledore seemed to find the cave out of thin air ….. no build ups to the cave ….
David Yates will be directing the last two parts … hope he don’t create a mess yet again … 😡
yeah really.. I had expected so much from this movie 😥 I thought it would be one of the most thrilling movies with lot of Tom Riddle in it.. but it’s such a mess 😦 I have no hopes from deathly hallows because I am sure he will murder that movie also.. wonder why they are letting him direct after he directed order of the phoenix so horribly.. Why dont they ask some better director to direct the 7th part? 😦 But people who have never read any book liked the movie.. wonder what they understood by watching..
hey would u hop onto my new laughter blog on wordpress … laughteradmin.wordpress.com … started it yesterday … hope u like it!
clap clap for you!
Thanks for visiting my blog 🙂
Ok, don’t hate me but I saw the movie today and you know what? I liked it! Sure, it’s hugely different from the book but on it’s own? Thumbs up I’d say. I even cried at the end during dumbledore’s “funeral”…and I actually didn’t like the cave scene that much….liked it better in the book…
But the book is better than the movie anyday 🙂
Wonder what chnges they’ll do to the last book!
Oh yeah, and I hated the fact that they removed all the memory scenes…how will the story move with out all those details??
God! they’ll murder the last movie won’t they?? 😦 😦
I know.. without the memories, how is harry gonna find the horcruxes.. maybe he will dream abt them.. I am sure the last movie is gonna be really bad.. It looks like the movie was taken after getting inspired from the book.. it doesnt look like a movie made out of the book.. 😦
hey..nice review..even this was my favorite book..and even I was disappointed a bit from half way… But this happens with every film..from Da vinci code to HBP…
Yeah but Da Vinci movie was not as bad as HBP right 😦
One of the terrible adaptation i have ever seen….They have murdered my favorite book in the whole series.
The movie should have Voldemart’s past in detail instead it is ruined by the awkward teen romance. Harry was so dumb in the movie. When he see Ginny with dean he is supposed to feel jealous instead he hardly care…Then the climax was a big blow. Hardly three spells and then the movie is over…absurd!
Agree with you.. this was the worst harry potter movie till date.. and was hardly like a HP movie.. looked more like teen romance movie
Ya..not as bad as Hbp… I feel they should have taken this movie into two parts… like Deathly hallows… But I never get disappointed..let it be Da vinci or Hbp..as i see them only as a movie..and comparing with book..
U have been tagged… Check out my blog..If u have already done this tag…please do let me know….
You know my views on this film…
but I dont think Dumbledore’s funeral would have add more value..
David Yates messed up the whole thing and blame must be shared by the script writer too 😡
Currently i am having about 300 Twiter follower, but still no special use, most of the twitter users are making use of twitter for there blogs !